Chef Steve’s Low-Fat Creamy Polenta with Homemade Marinara Sauce!
This week, we are doing a cooking segment on KCAL 9 News with Sandra Mitchell (May 21, 2013 at 2:40 pm PST). Chef Steve and I will be making this wonderful polenta and talking about the work we are doing in Los Angeles. We’ll be working with Mighty Mato super tomatoes! I figured, why not put the recipe up on our website and let everyone at home give it a try! Be sure to comment below and let us know if you what you think.
Polenta is a delicious, gluten free cornmeal that makes an excellent base for some great dishes. Top this with my all-purpose marina sauce for a delicious, nutritious meal!
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup polenta or yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup low-fat cheese (this is optional)
- 1 tablespoon of butter (this is optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (this is optional)
- Bring water and salt to boil over medium-high heat.
- While whisking water (use a wire whisk), pour the polenta in slowly (be careful, the water is HOT!!)
- Keep whisking until the polenta is thick and does not rest on the bottom of the pot.
- cover the pot and continue cooking. Stir every few minutes for about 40 minutes (if you want your polenta soft, cook for less time).
- Add the cheese, butter, and red pepper flakes and serve immediately!